Monday, March 16, 2009

Christian Sinclair, 3/16/09 1:02 PM

Information is the best way to get on someone’s good side. Luckily for me I am constantly… connected? No, that’s not quite right, connected would imply I’m accessing information like a computer does. It’s different from that, I move through the information and data as if it we’re a memory or a thought, it’s more like I’m a part of what they sometimes refer to as the information super highway. Thanks to the plethora of data available to me at a whim I am able to easily make it seem like I am an expert, or at least knowledgeable on nearly any and all subjects.

Now, I used to read comic books when I was a kid, and I do remember enjoying the Age of Apocalypse books, but there is no way I would have been able to recall the minutia required to impress an elitists like Johnny Wagner if it weren't for a quick check on Wikipedia.

Normally the way this works is I impress someone by knowing things about the things they like, and they in turn start to like me. I use my ability to establish common ground with my subject; small talk works wonders with making good impressions.

Unfortunately, however, it seems to be having the opposite effect on Wagner. He scowls at me after the initial shock wears off and lets out a long and drawn out sigh.

“Age of Apocalypse eh?,” he says this with a certain inflection to his voice that lets me know he isn’t buying it. “You can rummage through our back issues, but I seriously doubt we have any of the actual books since they were printed in 1995, You’d have a better chance finding the 2005 one shot 10th anniversary issue, but it’s still not likely, You’re best bet is probably a Con or eBay. I bet we do have some Exiles though if you are interested in a few of the characters from the universe, namely fan favorite Blink, and the AoA Sabertooth.”

He recites the information as if he didn’t even have to think about it, and in all honesty he probably didn’t. He turns back to his computer when he is finished, acting like it’s no big deal, but I catch him raising his eyebrow in my direction after a moment waiting to see if his knowledge impressed me.

I decided to try a new tactic and stroke his ego rather than try and impress him, “There was a 10th anniversary?” I ask feigning shock, I’d already pulled up the info to further the conversation if need be, but this might work better.

“Yup,” he doesn’t even look up from the screen, damn, “The old books are in the boxes in the back.” He motions with one hand towards the back of the store where there are lines of long white boxes, which I can only assume are full of back issues.

This isn’t going well, he’s already blowing me off. I should have planned for this better. Based on his psychiatric reports he isn't a people person. He’s quite the opposite actually.

Max, who had began reading one the comics he pulled out of a box with his name on it decides to cut in, “What about trades dude, Might not be able to get the actual book, but I bet the Age of Apocalypse has some trades out.”

Johnny shifts and turns, his eyes like daggers pointed at max, who is once again oblivious as he goes back to reading his book.

“Yeah… I wouldn’t mind trades,” I throw in, hoping to maybe get somewhere.

He reluctantly closes his lap top and sighs, “I can see about ordering them for you.”

“Sure, that would be great.” I smile my award winning smile which makes him scowl, I must admit I am gaining some small satisfaction out of his misery, although it’s not getting me anywhere closer to finding out if Wagner truly does have an ability…

“Ok, I’ll look. “ He turns to the other computer now and hits a few keys and clicks the mouse a few times, I turn inward for a moment and start talking to the computer, asking it to show me what it’s doing. It’s not too difficult a task, it’s an out dated PC and it’s firewall doesn’t put up a fight… He’s playing Mine Sweeper. I tell the computer to make him loose. And he does. 4 times in a row on the first click. After the fifth time I make all the button's look like comedian pins. I hear him mumble something and he restarts the application. I leave it alone after that.

“Ok,” he says after another minute and 47 seconds, “Christian was it?” He writes my name down on a sheet of paper along with the words AoA trades, and continues, “Come back in about a month and you’re stuff should be here provided it doesn’t get lost or anything.” He flashes me a quick smile then turns back to his computer.

I’m just wasting time here, not going to learn anything from Wagner at this point, it will probably take more than one visit to get him to warm up to me, and quite frankly I’m not sure he is worth the effort with the lack of strong leads and conflicting reports I have.

“Thanks I guess..” I turn to the short man beside me, “It was nice meeting you Max, thanks for trying to help.”

Max looks up from his book and grins broadly, "Sure dude! I'll see you around!"

I grab one of the shop’s business cards and turn towards the door. Enjoy your minesweeper, you Bastard, waste of my time. I suddenly feel a strange chill run down my spine; it makes me physically shiver, and is very similar to a chill I felt earlier.

“Fuck you too preppy, have a nice day!” Wagner shouts after me with unmasked sarcasm.

I pause and think for a second. He responded almost as though he had heard my bastard comment… interesting. The chill. After I felt it the first time Wagner freaked out and looked for his meds, his records indicate he is being treated for hearing voices… maybe, just maybe he isn’t so much crazy as it is him inadvertently hearing other people’s thoughts! Telepathy! Could it be? Maybe the second time he just thought I insulted him vocally… interesting I wonder why it would send a shiver down my spine? Could his nosebleed have been related? Perhaps his meds are affecting his abilities and causing some sort of backlash? I have so many questions. I smile a bit more hopeful and continue out the door with out responding or looking back.

When I’m outside I access the 3G wireless networks and dump some notes on the encounter along with a few theories and questions I have into my private data storage. Maybe I will continue this observation after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment