Monday, March 16, 2009

Johnny Wagner, 3/16/09 1:38 PM

The bell jingles as the door swings shut after Christian’s departure. I grin in smug satisfaction secure in the knowledge that he won’t be coming back. I lean back in my chair folding my hands behind my head.

The one thing that bugs me though is how he knew I was playing minesweeper. I ponder over it for a second and swing in my chair a little bit. Maybe he saw a reflection or something? I spin in my chair to see if there is anything behind me that would cause such a phenomenon, but there isn’t. I shrug and slowly start to turn back towards the screen.

I pause halfway and almost fall out of my chair when I notice the stout Mexican staring me down, his eyes narrowed and his normally cheery grin folded down into a scowling frown.

“What?!” I ask incredulously.

He sighs and shakes his head, “ I know you’re an asshole, but did you really have to insult him one last time before he left? That dude wasn’t so bad!”

“What the hell? He called me a bastard! Didn’t you hear him?! I heard it clear as day!” I shout back defensively, Max has known me long enough to know I don’t take insults from anyone! “Pretty boy just got a taste of his own medicine, and probably wasn’t expecting it from a ‘geek’ like me.”

Max stairs blankly at me and blinks once. “He didn’t call you a bastard, and even if he had you would have deserved it.”

I’m not sure how to react, he did insult me first… didn’t he? If it had been any one but Max I probably wouldn’t have cared what they thought, but Max is probably the closest thing I could have to a friend that isn’t a chat window. I can tell he is disappointed.

He pulls the books out of his box and sets them on the counter, “I’m gunna pay for these and head out for now. I’ll catch ya later.”

I ring him up in silence and we exchange money, when I’m handing him his change I pause for second.

“Look I really did hear him call me a bastard, maybe it was my craziness acting up, but I know what I heard. “ Max smirks a bit and takes his change stuffing it into his pocket.

“Yeah well maybe you take too many of those pills man, maybe they are making you more crazy than you are. If he comes back in you should try an be nicer, maybe even apologize. It’s makes you feel good ya know… being nice.”

“Yeah, yeah, so you say,” I pause for a second bagging his books. “So, do I get a rematch against you in halo tonight?”

His cheesy smile returns, “Pshh if you want me to kick your gringo ass again just knock on my door when you get home…”

No comments:

Post a Comment