Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Johnny Wagner, 3/17/09 12:37 PM

Sticking my head through the back door I spot the Entergy worker, sporting his white jump suit and hat. He’s young, couldn’t be over thirty, and he’s quick too, he already has the energy box behind the shop opens and several of the wires pulled forward as he leans in and starts doing something with a screw driver.

I step out into the alley and let the heavy back door slam shut behind me. “Hey!” I shout and the Entergy guy jumps a little then calmly turns his head in my direction. “What are you doing back here? We aren’t having any trouble.

He strands up strait and dusts off his uniform and then stoops down and picks up a clipboard off the top of a large toolbox, and looks it over.

“I don’t know man, that’s what the work order says, are you a Mr. Ska-vanski?” He draws out the last name a little stumbling over the awkward pronunciation of my boss’ last name.

“No, that’s the shop owner,” I reply walking towards the guy and attempting to peek over at the clipboard.

The Entergy Man, Chris Hawkins according to his name badge, pulls it away slightly defensive and eyes me up and down. Well it says here a Jason Skavanski called and said he was having trouble with the lights browning out every now and then, They sent me to check it out. I found a loose wire and I’m almost done fixing it.”

I narrow my eyes and look him up and down. I don’t remember any brown outs, and I work here more than Skavanski does. Something is wrong here. I watch him intently for a moment.

My head is suddenly filled with the agitated voice of the energy man, I hate fieldwork, I wish this kid would just go away so I can get back to base. Damn it a chill he’s doing som…. A loud high-pitched squeal suddenly fills my skull and snaps me back to reality.

I think I was just reading his mind, my eyes widen at the thought just as I notice the worker’s eyes narrow.

“Look kid your boss called me and I guess he forgot to tell you, so can I get back to work here?”

I just kinda nod at the guy and turn back towards the back door. I walk slowly to the door as I pull out my shop keys to open it. I read his mind. I put the key in the lock and turn it and pull open the door. I turn back towards the worker whos back in the box turning that screwdriver again.

Maybe I can do it again… I close my eyes and try to reach with my mind. At least it seems like reaching. Sort of like I do when im trying to pick up a spoon or lamp, but more subtle. I focus on what I can only describe as a spot of color, I think it’s red. Somehow I know this is his mind. I touch the color with my mind, and try to push into it, but it seems to solidify and push back it keeps me from entering. Damn.

I step into the shop and Max starts to say something to me, but I ignore him and pull out my cell phone. I punch in Skavanski’s number and it rings several times.

“This better be an emergency Wagner, I’m at the beach!” The thought of my boss l laying half naked in the sand is enough to make my skin crawl.

“Grah, yeah there is an Entergy guy here.” I wait for his repsonce but all I hear is grumbling.

“So, what? You didn’t break anything did you?” he finally says agitated.

“Fuck no, he says you called him about brown outs or something! I’m just trying to figure out what’s going on.”

“Man you should see the ass on that one that just walked past me… Look man I may have I don’t know, who cares! Now don’t call me again!” The phone goes dead with a click and I mumble several choice swear words; I hate that man.

Max and Christian walk towards me distracting me momentarily, I’m not in the mood to talk with them till I figure this out. I look up and see the entergy man climb back into his van and start it up, seems like he is finished. The logo on the side of the van gives me an idea

I push past the approaching pair and shout over my shoulders, “Hey if either of you know about electric stuff go see if you can tell what he did I need to look up the number for Entergy.”

“It’s 713 555 4746 for the local office,” I stop a Christian’s response and pull out my phone to dial.

“You memorized the Entergy number?” I raise an eyebrow towards Christian as the phone rings.

He shrugs and turns towards the back door, “I’m good with numbers, and electronics, come on Max let’s check this out.”

I turn away from the pair as they exit and head to the counter, the phone finally answers.

“Hi this is Cathy you have reached Entergy how may I help you?” the woman on the other end sounds dreadfully bored.

“Yeah hey Cathy, can you tell me if you had a truck at 15342 S, Mulligan on a work order?” I tap my foot with impatience as she sighs.

“Just a moment,” I can hear her typing things into her computer and I wave my hands in a circular motion willing her to hurry up. A small display starts to rumble inexplicably so I force myself to calm.

“No sir, we haven’t had any trucks in that are all morning.”

My lips curl into a smirk. “Entergy my ass,” I say to myself as I close my cell phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment