Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Christian Sinclair, 3/17/09 12:21 PM

Wagner’s expression upon my arrival with Max causes me to grin a bit despite myself. He probably never thought I’d be back here, at least not this quickly. It was part planning and part luck that Max showed up when he did, I knew he would go to the comic shop eventually, but I wasn’t exactly sure when. So, I sat at the coffee shop not too far away hoping he would continue to the be the friendly person he is and stop to talk with me as he rolled past. I, of course, was correct and he did stop and talk with me. We actually had a pretty lengthy conversation about school; it turns out Max was in one of the Algebra classes I TA for.

From that point, it was fairly easy to include myself in his plans to visit the shop. He simply stated where he was heading, and he asked me if I wanted to come along. I feigned checking my watch like I had someplace to be at some point, and told him I did have some time till I needed to be anywhere so, why not? Now that we’re here I need to contain my thoughts just incase Wagner tries to peek.

“Change you’re mind about that Watchmen trade?,” Wagner flings his first of what is sure to be many snide comments in my direction. He rolls his eyes and then turning and nods at Max, “Hey Max how’s it going?” I smirk and hold my tongue for the moment.

“Good dude! I found Christian bored at the coffee shop so I brought him along!,” Max claps me on the back unexpectedly and I stumble a bit.

“Yeah.." I throw in, "and no I don’t want the Watchmen.” I sport my most charismatic smile, it seems to anger Wagner and his eyes narrow a bit as he looks in my direction. I feel that familiar chill run down my spine and widen my eyes. Wagner? It's the only thought that slips through before I clear my mind.

The clerk seems confused for a moment then suddenly looks up and past us to the door. I turn as well to notice an Entergy van pulling into the lot in front of the store. They must be busy today; they were at my dorm earlier this morning…

I turn back around and notice Max checking out the van as well. He eventually shrugs and turns and we both walk towards the counter and the store’s distracted employee who continues to watch the van and it’s drive with a hawk like vigilance.

“Having electrical problems?” I ask turning back to the windowed door to watch as the driver steps out of the van, looks at a PDA he is holding then up at the shop before he walks around to the side of the van and slides open the rear door to retrieve his equipment.

Wagner takes a moment to respond clearly distracted, “Huh? No, not at all, I was wondering why he was here…” he trails off as he continues to observe the Entergy man.

Maybe he is reading his mind; perhaps Wagner makes a habit of invading the thoughts of other. I turn to Max to shrug, but I find that he too is once again watching the Entergy guy, his normally care free visage seems more focused and contemplative, almost as if he is trying to really read the actions of the energy man.

“Ya know what dude?,” Max says after a few minutes, and Wagner turns to look at him, “yeah man, this guy was at our apartment complex earlier! He woke me up he was doin’ something behind our building!” I turn and look at the energy man, I wish I’d paid a bit more attention to the guy who was at my place, but I didn’t think too much of it at the time. I’ll review the video feeds when I get home later. We all three turn back to the Entergy man who picks up a large toolkit out of the van and sits it on the ground. He closes the sliding van door and proceeds to walk around the side of the building.

Max and I look to one another and Wagner turns in his computer chair stroking his chine obviously lost in thought. He stands up suddenly.

“I’m going to find out what he’s doing… Hey Max check out the video I just book marked while I do and let me know what you think.” He then stands and walks towards the stores back door. He pokes his head out and looks around for a second then steps through.

“Okkaaaayyyy,” Max exaggerates turning to look at me, “Sorry Johnny’s a bit paranoid at times, lets see what this video is.” Max hops over the counter and plops into the seat once occupied by Wagner, and motions for me to move around so I can get a better look at the screen.

I come around just as he opens up Firefox and clicks the latest bookmark added. After a few seconds a Youtube page starts to load. Large red letters appear saying the video has been removed due to TOS violation.

“Damn, must have just been taken down…” Max frowns and turns in the chair towards me a little.

I sink into myself for a moment, my mind reaching across the net and finding the block on the youtube video, it’s been fairly well scrubbed, but nothing is permanently removed, I simply reset the server back to what it was at the time Wagner viewed the video, which was apparently right before we arrived according to his computer, someone took it down quick. It should work again.

“Why don’t you try refreshing real quick maybe it was just a glitch…” I suggest helpfully, and Max shrugs turning back to the computer and hitting the refresh button.

The video loads as if it were never removed, and max grins and shouts in triumph. ‘real telekinesis’ is the title… interesting I think and pay close attention as Max hits play.

No comments:

Post a Comment