Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Johnny Wagner, 3/17/09 11:57 AM

I don’t know why I came in to work today. It’s not safe here. It’s not safe anywhere anymore. I should have followed my instinct and left town, Max thought he had convinced me not to, but it was really Stephanie.

I’m not sure what exactly she told me anymore, but at the time it seemed to make sense. Now, I’m not sure again. Reaching in my pocket I produce my phone and begin punching out a message to Stephanie. The bell on the door jingles and I flip the phone shut before finishing. I watch the teenager that just entered carefully. His hair is long and greasy and his gut hangs out of his spider-man t-shirt that is just a little too small for him. He doesn’t look government but those bastards are clever. He pays me no mind for now, but I keep my eyes on him as he starts walking through the racks. That makes 4 customers in the store so far. Three of which, including the one who just entered are regulars, and the forth I’ve seen a time or two as well. I eye each of them up and down. How long have these guys been watching me, could any of these seemingly innocent comic book geeks be here to spy on me?

Probably not, but someone did follow me last night, and that sniffles guy… Turning back to my computer I start streaming another video of “Real Telekinesis.” A man moves a metal ball across a table, you can only see one of his hands, and obviously it’s some sort of magnet. I close the video and click on the next link. This one catches my attention right away. A young man sits at a glass table with nothing but a pencil on it. He is wearing no shirt.

“I’m not wearing a shirt so no one can say I had strings up my sleeves,” he seems a little worried, “The table is made of glass, so no magnets. I’m not even going to move my hands I’ll just hold them above my head.” He swallows hard and looks around again obviously nervous. “Don’t get me wrong this scares the shit out of me, I’m not posting this because I think it’s cool or I want to impress people, it’s because I need help, and lately there have been people after me. My name is Jason, and I live just outside of Seattle Washington. If anyone else knows anything about this, e-mail me at the address in the description.”

I watch as the boy lifts his arms above his head. At first nothing happen, but soon the pencil starts to shake. After a moment it slowly rises and flies up and hovers in mid air for a second. I watch the boy’s eyes for a moment, they follow the pencils movements perfectly, and when they look left the pencil flies left, when he looks up the pencil flies up. Jason breaths out and the pencil suddenly drops to the table and clatters agains the glass.

“That’s it,” he says looking back over his shoulder. “If you can help me, e-mail me.” He reaches forward and stops the webcam; the screen goes black. Interesting. Glancing at the time stamp on the video it was just uploaded last night around 2 AM. I bookmark the video and spin away from the computer screen for a second. I’ll have to show that to Max and see what he thinks. He said something about being chased as well. How many people like me are there? Maybe I should start watching the news or something, who knows what else is out there.

The bell jingles as the front door opens and I look up torn away from my thoughts.

It’s Max, but he isn’t alone… my jaw drops a little surprised to see that same preppy guy from the day before walking in right behind him.

No comments:

Post a Comment