Monday, March 16, 2009

Col. Abraham Smith, Central Division Leader, EV Tech 16/3/09 21:41 HRS

After receiving the last batch of FR from the recent operatives, I have decided to accelerate our progress in these ops. With the discovery of four more EV within the boundaries of this office's prescient in such close proximity to HQ, immediate action is required. Having identified the new targets, I have dispatched Arkett out to locate their places of residents. As of right this minute he should be making his approach to the target 084, the Wagner kid, known k-tech, possible telepath as well. After, he is to hump it to the location scouted out for 087, the Sinclair kid, a speculated E-Int, and confirm his exact PoR.

Timothy Arkett is a good operative, loyal, and determined. Also gloomy, pessimistic, and arrogant, something I had hoped his training would have breed out of him. He has however, become invaluable to our operations now, with his special gifts. I cannot say that I am disappointed with accepting him and taking him from that orphanage we found him at. He had been left there by his drug addicted prostitute mother, no father, and had always been a problem for the nuns there. That is how we found many of the first ones. Medical records, strange news reports of incredible or unbelievable events, orphanages, and halfway house, even prisons. Any place people end up when they are either not wanted or have nowhere else to go, sad really.

When I was recruited by Mrs. Haag to lead the central team of a new company called Evolution Technologies, I thought I was to be head of their FT’s and security. From what I was made to understand they were a gene research company with private investors and government funds. Just into my retirement from the Marine Corp of twenty years of service, I was eager to get back into a position where I could use my skills that I bled for. What did I know of genes sequence coding or stem cell research? They offered a lucrative salary and plenty of time out of a dull office. I couldn’t pass it up. I quickly became aware that what I was to do was much more than I could have imagined. I had heard rumors and seen some classified documents, but when I was told and then shown. I admit it intrigued me. I was recruited, I guess, for what can be called my morally gray insight, and lack or certain moral inhibiters, and absence of typical scruples. Either way the merger worked well and I advanced quickly, taking over the center division from Mrs. Haag, allowing her to better use her time in New York with the other executives.

While Arkett is on mission, I direct my attention to shadow our primary target in the op, Jonathan Wagner. I have read the files and reports, in and out of therapy and a long list of prescription drugs for headaches and other undiagnosed symptoms. A strange incident at a high school in Huntsville first put us on to him, where we began to gather data and put details on to him to watch him. It came as quit a surprise when Tim reported back that he had located two other possible EV’s and all somehow connected. I pull into the parking lot and park the Chrysler in the back and straighten my tie, check the 44mm at my shoulder and turn on the radio. I skim through the varies channels, static hissing, a voice screeching out indiscernible babble, garbage tones with no melody or tone. Finally I find what I am searching for, and the graceful, beautiful sounds of Tchaikovsky fills the interior of the sedan. I settle back for the familiar waiting game of a stakeout.

I do not have long to wait. Only fifteen minutes pass before the target 084 exits the known premises and fidgets with the door, presumably locking it, and drops a skateboard to the ground. I watch as 084 checks his phone for a moment, then glances my way. It would seem our research was not inaccurate. He is aware of something; he is suspicious. While he has his phone out I reach up and hit the sequence code for the signal decoder to capture the number on his cell phone, three seconds pass and the light flashes from red to green. Good, we should be able track his calls and any activity as well as the phones activation signal. Remembering that he could be a TLP, I focus my mind for the now familiar chill, just in case. He begins to roll across the asphalt still watching my car. As he approaches, I watch him intently, observing his movements, his mannerisms, like a predator memorizing his prey. He glares into the car, obviously trying to see inside and I just watch back, staring him down. He looks way and continues to roll down a side street. I put the sedan into drive and slowly accelerate to follow behind him. I know he will see me and know he is being followed but that’s not the point. I want to see how he will react, will he fight or flight.

I leave the headlights off, no point in shinning the way for him. We slowly crawl along the empty side street for a few minutes. He speeds up some, I follow suitably. Finally come to a corner intersection and suddenly he pops the skateboard up into his hands and turns to face me. I can almost smell the panic and paranoia coming off him. For a moment I contemplate just taking him right now, but that’s not protocol, so I wait to see what he does. I wait a moment, the car idling, come on kid do something, show me you got some fight in you, show me that you are worth keeping alive, that you have worth. Nothing, what a disappointment. I throw the headlights on spinout the wheels and accelerate past him, narrowly missing him and continue to the next intersection and take a tight right turn.

I check the time, it is 22:24, I need to head to the dorms and rondivue with Tim. I slow the car, no point in causing suspicion by driving to fast, and head toward campus.

My company cell rings. Picking it up I notice the number is long distance, 212-315-9016; I quickly flip the phone open and bring it up.

“Smith here.” A soft, well-spoken voice with a slight mid eastern accent answers on the other line.

I listen for a moment then reply, “Yes sir, Mr. Holstein, we have made the contacts, and are following the new targets as instructed.”

“Yes sir, we have placed the orders with the comms and EAE section to have a F-tech place the bugs, we are just waiting to confirm the PoR.” I turn into the campus.

“Yes, sir I was just in contact with 084 and am headed to evac Agent 9 now from his surveillance of 087.” The sedan glides through the streets, as I look for signs guiding me to the correct dorm.

“Yes sir, I am aware that one of the Wright’s have been identified as a K-tech. I thought they were off limits.” I slow as I approach the parking garage.

“But sir we had orders to stand down from any action against their family, I understood that there was an agreement reached.” I have a bad feeling about this. It is never good when civilian leadership starts changing its mind in military situations.

“Yes sir, I understand, I disagree with this course of action though, has this been discussed with Mrs. Haag.” The soft voice rises a little.

“Of course sir, we will carry your orders out, I am sure Agent 9 will be pleased.” I drive into the garage and spot Tim ahead, and roll up to him.

“Thank you sir, and have a good night.” I unlock the doors and Tim drops into the car, I flip the cell closed and shake my head. This is going to be a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment