Monday, March 16, 2009

Johnny Wagner, 3/16/09 9:57 PM

I hit the lights and flip the hanging sign on the door to closed. The bell on the door jingles as I step through it into the cool night air; I push it shut faster than it would like to close, impatient to lock it up and get home already. I turn the keys and give the door a good tug to make sure it’s nice and secure. The flash of a tiny red light near the counter lets me know the alarm is now active as well.

I drop my skateboard from under my arm to the ground and place one foot on it to hold it steady. What a long and strange day it’s been, between sniffles, preppy, and hot chick, I half expected Obama to come strolling in the store next. I thought I’d never get rid of the high schooler who spent all day looking at the same rare magic card. I was about ready to give him the damn card.

I pull my phone out of my pocket to send Stephanie a text when I notice there a car in the lot. It’s a lone black sedan I’m not going to pretend to know or even care what kind it is, but the fact that it’s now 10:02 PM according to my phone and all the other shops in this block have been closed for almost an hour now it just strikes me as odd.

I decide to wait on the text and flip my phone shut. I plug a pair of white ear buds in and hit play on my iPod. The plunky keyboards of a Matt and Kim song fills my ears, the upbeat tempo and light hearted mood is almost enough to cancel out the bad feeling I’m getting from this car. Almost…

Keeping an eye on the black car, I shift my weight on my board and kick my other foot behind me pushing me to a roll. I kick a few more times and get myself rolling down the sidewalk at a good pace before I place my other foot on the back of the board and balance myself as I move along.

I roll past the parked car and take a glance towards it, a man is sitting in the drivers seat; it’s dark so I can’t make out the details of his face or what he is wearing, but I can see his head follow me as I pass.

I look away. He was only watching me because I was watching him, probably some crack head waiting for his dealer or vice versa… But shit, he sure does look government… What if they know about me? What if they are after me? I knew they would be after me, I fucking knew it! Shit!

I shake my head suddenly wishing I had my pills with me and start to push faster on my board, I resist the urge to look over my shoulder and reach in my pocket to spin the wheel on my iPod cranking the volume. I hum along to the upbeat chords and notes. I pop off the curb and begin rolling down a side street, taking a short cut to my apartment.

The song changes and in the few moments of silence between tracks I heard the grind of tires against gravel behind me.

I cautiously glance over my shoulder; sure enough the same black car from the store is several feet behind me, it’s head lights are off. Shit!

I hit pause on my iPod, but maintain my course for now. What the hell is going on today? It’s like I wake up and all my imaginary thoughts and irrational fears are suddenly very real and rational. I run through the options in my head. I can try and out run them, me on my skateboard, them in their much faster sedan. I can hide, but people like this always find people like me when they hide! Maybe I should just stop and see what they do. ...Shit!!

A bead of sweat rolls down the side of my face and my eyes search the street around me, its mostly empty, that’s why I come this way. I can hear the car behind me still, it sounds like it’s moving a little closer, I risk another glance and it’s not. I start skating faster, and I look back to watch the car and it matches my speed, not getting any closer or further away from me. The same happens when I slow down and speed up again.

A streetlight is ahead of me at the corner of a small intersection. I’ll stop there and look right at him; that way if things go bad I have four ways to run.

I pull up to the corner and stop suddenly kicking my board into my hand. I turn and face my pursuer and wait. For a moment the black car stops as well, I can see the dark figure within looking in my direction. Suddenly it pops on it’s headlights, I squint at the sudden flash of light.

It’s tires spin a second as it suddenly starts to accelerate. The tires squeal and the sedan gains speed as it moves towards me on the narrow road, I feel a gust of wind as the car races by me and continues strait down the path ahead. At the next intersection it makes quick and sudden right. I hear the car longer than I can see it, but soon the sound of it’s engine and tires fade as well.

What the fuck was that all about? I push my board back to the ground and hop on, I ride as quickly as I can the rest of the way home in silence, my eyes and ears open for any further pursuers.

No comments:

Post a Comment