Monday, March 16, 2009

Johnny Wagner, 3/16/09 10:23 PM

I slam the door to my apartment locking both deadbolts and the door as quickly as I can. My eye shoots to the peephole and darts back and forth looking as far as the small portal will allow.

I put my back to the door and slide down to the floor of my entry way, letting my skateboard drop with me and it rolls across the hard wood section of the floor, but stops when it reaches the edge of the carpet. I allow myself to breath for the first time in what was probably almost two blocks finally feeling slightly safer in my own home. I spent most of the ride home looking behind me, and when I thought I saw another black car during the last leg of the journey; I picked up my board and flat out ran.

My lungs burn and my heart feels as though it’s going to beat out of my chest as the adrenaline from the experience continues to course through my veins. After a few minutes, my heart slows and my breathing normalizes. I relax and almost close my eyes for a moment.

My phone dings. I don’t know how to respond at first, my eyes open and I stare blankly at the wall across from me. I soon shake myself out of it and reach in my pocket and grab my cell and flip it open. It’s a text from Stephanie, “R u alive? LOL.”

I’d forgotten I didn’t text her when I left, that’s uncommon for me. I hit reply and start to punch in my response when a loud knock on the door at my back sends me flying to me feet, holding the phone up ready to strike as if it were a dagger.

I lower my arm slowly realizing just how ridiculous the idea of wielding a cell phone as weapon would be and stare a the door for a second. Who the hell would be here? This can’t be good. I quickly finish my text to Stephanie and hit send closing the phone and dropping it into my pocket.

I walk slowly to the door and peek through the peephole. It’s Max, I forgot about him, he seems to be looking back and forth and reaches up and knocks once again.

I quickly turn all the knobs and locks and pull the door halfway open, Max opens his mouth to speak, but only manages and startled yelp as I grab him by his shoulders and pull him quickly inside then shut the door and lock all the locks behind him.

“Hey dude, there was a…”

“I was followed,” I state cutting him off as I peer through the peephole. “I don’t know how safe I am any more.”

I turn around and push past Max walking into the living room and then down the hall and into my room, Max tries to talk again, but I ignore him, and he follows me into my room. I pull the open my top dresser drawer and begin digging through it.

“Followed? Strange, but listen, there was…” He starts again and I cut him of with an exclamation as I find what I’m looking for. I stuff the wad of cash I keep incase of emergencies into my pocket and turn towards my closet.

“Yeah I was followed by a black car of some kind… I don’t know what kind but it looked of government. They are after me.” I walk to the closet and pull a box off the upper shelf to the ground.

“Government? What?... Listen dude that guy from the shop, the sniffles guy he was…”

I shout again and pull a small pocket knife out of the box, I knew it was in here somewhere, I might need it incase im stuck on the road or something. I grab the compass and small survival guide as well then stick then push the box aside, the label “Cub Scout Stuff” now shows clearly. I stand an turn to walk past Max to my nightstand in search of my next items.

“Hey! Would you stop for a second!,” Max grabs me by my shoulders and holds me steady forcing my look him in the eye as he speaks,” I’ve been trying to tell you dude! That sniffles guy from the shop was snooping around outside our apartments!”

It takes me a moment to register what he says. Sniffles? Why the hell would he be here? Unless….

“Sniffles was here? What did he do?” I raise an eyebrow.

“Well he… sniffed! My door, then yours, then he left,” Max shrugs obviously confused.

He lets go of my shoulders and I place a hand to my chin rubbing my 3 day beard growth between thumb and forefinger. He must be an oprative.

“Look Max, I’m sorry, but I may have endangered your life. I think someone is after me because of what I can do. You know me, so they may want to question you or something.

“What you can do? Suck at Halo?,” he chuckles like it’s a joke for a second, but my serious look puts a quick end to it.

“No, this is far more impressive. and I don't suck at Halo! Follow me.” I brush past the stout Mexican and head into the kitchen, Max shrugs an follows. I open the cabinet door and pull a clean glass from the shelf. I brush past Max again, and stand in front of the table. I brush all the papers and magazines littered atop it onto the floor with two large sweeps of my arms. At the very edge of the table I place the glass. I walk around to the other end of the table and stand next to Max.

“You ready?” I ask, a small smirk forming on my lips.

“For what?” He asks a bit perplexed.

“Just watch,” I lean over the table and concentrate on the glass, I hold my hand and arm on the table palm open extended towards the empty container. At first nothing happens, and I hear Max start to say something, but I shush him before he can. After a few seconds the glass clanks a little against the table as it wobbles, I can feel it now, the glass. I reach with all my conscience and beckon it forward.

Suddenly the glass shoots forward and flies into my open palm. I wrap my fingers around it and hold it up and turn towards Max.

He stands there for a second his jaw slack as his eyes dart back and forth between the table, the glass, and myself. His mouth slowly closes and forms that big goofy smile he is so fond of.

“¡Mierda! That was amazing!!” He almost jumps in place and pulls the glass from my hand running to the other end of the table and placing it down. “Do it again!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment