Monday, March 16, 2009

Max Vasquez, 3/16/09 9:31 PM

I reach forward grabbing some popcorn and shoving it into my mouth, Edward Norton say's something something about being angry and his skin starts to turn a sickly shade of green. Now things are about to get good!

I bolt upright suddenly in my seat. Most people wouldn’t have heard it, but I did. Even with the Incredible Hulk, roaring and making buildings collapse on my TV screen I still heard the sniffing.

I peel myself off the couch, the place I’d been parked since I got back from the shop, I hit pause on the DVD player and set the remote on my make-shift coffee table, which is simply two milk crates pushed together with a flattened out cardboard box taped to the top. I make my way slowly to the door. The sniffing becomes louder.

I press my ear to the door and I can hear him standing on the other side. His boots clomp as he shifts around and every now and then he takes in several large sniffs. I slide my head up so I can just barely see through the peephole. It’s him all right, the weird dude from the shop today. What the hell is he doing outside my apartment? He stiffens noticeably as soon as I start watching, taking in another large sniff.

A small sinister grin forms on his lips and he looks directly towards the peephole. I instinctively duck down, staying out of sight of the small portal… My heart races for a moment as I think he has spotted me. Wait a second, he can’t see through on his end!

I slide my head back up feeling a little dumb and peer through the little glass window. I can’t see him. I know he is still around, but I can’t see him, I peer around as much as the little opening will allow and almost give up when suddenly his head pops into view his eye now inches away from the outside of the hole, as though he is trying to look through from his end. I stumble backwards at the surprise and almost fall, but manage to catch myself at the last second.

I feel a familiar itch in the back of my mind; Xecotcovach stirs. It wants to come forth, tear down the door and pummel the intruder on the other side, but I deny the spirit access. I have no idea what’s going on and allowing the spirit control would not help in this situation. Xecotcovach rumbles in the back of my skull, danger lurks it will soon present itself to us, it warns before settling back to rest.

I move slowly back to the portal and peer though, He is gone again, but I hear him, I can tell he is still nearby, but it sounds like he is closer to Johnny’s door now. I begin to wonder if he is one of those loco gringos who goes postal at school because he is picked on too much. Maybe Johnny’s comments today pushed him over the edge of something.

After a few moments he comes walking past my door again, he turns and looks towards it as he passes, and then walks down the stairs and out of view. I listen carefully as his steps lead him around the building… It pays to be the avatar of a warrior spirit god thing; my senses are more acute than most peoples. I eventually hear a popping sound and nothing more.

I step back from the door and stroke my chin for a second. This can’t be good, Cotzbalarn has told me that much. I consider calling Johnny’s cell to tell him about sniffles, but I decide against it. I walk back to the couch and plop down, not quite sure what my next move should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment