Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Col. Abraham Smith, Central Division Leader, EV Tech 17/3/09 1150 HRS

The previous day’s recon went well and I have filled all my reports and forwarded them to the primary offices in New York. I placed the orders for the taps to be put in place in 084 and 087’s PoR, as well as the comic store. The tech crew should be in route to perform the job now. Mary and Ezekiel have acquitted themselves quite well in their missions to acquire the cell signals of the targets. For that reason I now find myself at a Starbucks, ironically right down from the comic store. I can see our comms van at the comic store, covering as an Entergy maintenance van.

Comms intercepted a call to a Byron O’Dell, designated 079, yesterday from a Jason Peters, a self proclaimed seeker of truth that works for the tabloid Sun. The brief conversation made out that this Peters had some Intel about 079’s past, presumable the incident in Mexico that 079 was involved in during the summer of ‘08. It was decided to tail 079 and put a tap onto Peters to watch them in case something unexpected happened that we might need to step in for. I arrived a little ahead of time to check on 084 and scout the area. At 1200 Peters arrives in an old Lincoln and enters the premises, 079 is late. I make a call to HQ to see how the tags are going and everything is proceeding as planned. The taps have been placed at 087 and 084’s PoR earlier today.

At 1218, 079 skids into the parking lot on his bike, stops at the end of the strip, and throws the kick stand down. I watch him look around, a displeased look on his face and pull his cell from a pocket and dial. I reach over to flip the switch on the decoder.

It rings twice before it picks up. “Hey bro! I thought you were right behind me?” I hear 089 almost yell into the receiver. I check the signal for the placed call. It was made to an Erik Mathews, a known accomplice of 079. From the earlier surveillance he was in charge of scouting the area for the reporter. Apparently he did not complete his charged mission. I shake my head,..civilians.

“Yo, you were supposed to scope the place out and give me a call!” 079 again growls into the phone.

There is a momentary pause, “Oh Right, right, right, right, I forgot man, you know me, I’m still not awake really…”, I listen as Mathews makes a groggy , almost incoherent reply, and turn the volume up.

There is another long pause in the conversation, and 079 barks back, “Well… Can you figure out who he is?!”

“Who, who is?” the Mathews kid asks confused and I decided he will not be a problem in our operations.

The conversation continues for a few more moments, eventually digressing into typical immature drabble and I drone it out and make sure the recorder is playing, just in case it needs to be reviewed at a later time. Finally I hear the cell click disconnecting and look up to see him walking toward the Starbucks. He talks a cursory glance my direction then hesitates and continues to stare at me. I just stare back and push my dark Ray-Ban sunglasses back up. Hmm, this happens too much for coincidence, maybe I need to be less conspicuous.

I have read the files on O’Dell, and know that he is a confirmed ESS, so I know he is not reading my thoughts. The company had suspected him as an EV for some time since we had evidence of his heritage and we know that the genes are genetically passed down generation to generation. It was finally confirmed when our detail that was shadowing him was involved in a collision with the target and the agent had the forethought to take the video in the car. After the issue with the police was resolved and we examined the tape, we saw that he literally tore his way out of the car to escape the wreckage.

After a few more moments, he smiles and turns to enter the coffee shop. My cell rings and I flip it open. It is Arkett.

“Hey, Abe we just got word from the tech geeks that the bugs are up and chirpin', figured you’d like to know.”

I can hear the voice of 084 in the background, “..Ok, are you sure because they’re here now,…yeah the Entergy guy is around back right now.” A pause, he must be on the phone. I need to get back to listen to this in full I can’t make out the voice of the other person.

“Well, ok if you say so. Are you gona be back soon from where ever you are? I kinda had plans tomorrow and I don’t usually work on Wednesdays.” Another pause, “Oh,..ok well I guess so, but only this time,…yeah bye.” I hear the phone drop on the hook and hear Wagner curse.

“Thanks, I am headed back to the office now, I have done what I wanted to here. Tell Henry to instruct Mary to have a team pick up Mr. Peters tonight at his place, we need to have a talk with him about his nosing around.”

“Sure thing, can do, and the nose joke wasn’t fuckin' funny.” Tim makes a sniffing sound, grunts and abruptly hangs up. I chuckle to myself for a moment, and close the phone. I start the ignition and pull out of the parking spot I had occupied. Time for me to get back.

1 comment: